Friday, October 8, 2010

October 9--A Great Day in (My) History



Yes, it's true, many famous people were born on October 9.

1835 - Camille Saint-Saëns, French composer

1899 - Bruce Catton, US, historian/writer

1918 - E Howard Hunt of Watergate infamy

1940 - Joe Pepitone, baseball 1st baseman (NY Yankee)

1940 - John Lennon, rocker/Beatle

1941 - Brian Lamb, Founder of C-SPAN

1952 - Sharon Osbourne, English music manager and wife of Ozzy Osbourne

1959 - Mike Singletary, NFL middle linebacker (Chicago Bears)

1966 - David Cameron, British Prime Minister

And, in 1937 there was me. True, I have not achieved greatness, but neither I have sought it. No great ambition to lead nations, be a rock or sports star. But I have achieved a great measure of happines and  there is much to be said for that.

Moreover, I can and will produce my birth certificate if anyone asks. That's more than Obama will do!



9 comments:

Rachel Pohli said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday, Alan. Thank you for all you share here on your blog that helps people like me stay informed. You ARE indeed great to a lot of people. May God bless you richly in this next year of your life.

LarryOldtimer said...

A happy birthday to you, Alan.

Alan Caruba said...

Thank you, Larry.

Necromancer said...

I forgot today is your BD. It's on FB and I just read it yesterday. Anyway Happy Birthday and many more. Mine was last month. Oh,and by the way not only can I produce my birth certificate but also my DD-214 form and discharge from the USMC.
"Semper Fi"

Richard said...

And many happy returns of the day. I do enjoy your blog. keep 'em coming please.

Ol James said...

Congradulations and as my grand-brats say, Huppy Birf-n-day Mr Alan!!!!!
Greatness is measured by the quality of a persons character.
You Sir, are a Legend and set the mark high.

Alan Caruba said...

My DD-214 is dated 6 April 62 courtesy of the US Army! And, like you, I can lay hands on it in under 30 seconds.

Obama couldn't find his ass in a dark room with both hands.

Alan Caruba said...

My thanks to you, Richard and Ol James. It's been a fine day.

Dave's Daily Day Dream said...

Mike Singletary is now famous for being the San Francisco 49ers coach!
HMMMM!
What really makes me feel old is that I could be his dad (had I led a somewhat different college life).